Repatriation of deceased person to Argentina
This Consulate does not issue permits for repatriation of a deceased person to Argentina.
Family members must coordinate the shipment with the funeral home and the airline as they must know the rules on international transport of corpses.
Please note that the Argentine Government is not responsible for transportation costs of cadavers or ashes.
Please see below the list of requirements for the repatriation of a deceased person to Argentina:
A) Documentation required for transportation of corpses:
- 2 certified death certificates with the seal of Apostille Stamp
- A certificate noting that the person did not suffer from contagious diseases, granted by the local health authority
- A funeral certificate stating that the body has been prepared in accordance with the international transport regulations and placed in an impervious coffin.
b) Documentation required for the carriage of human ashes:
- 2 certified death certificates with the seal of the Apostille Stamp
- A cremation certificate, issued by the crematorium stating the name of the diseased person and that the urn only contains human ashes
All the above mentioned documents must bear the Apostille Stamp processed in the DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs of Australia), please see the DFAT offices listed at the end of this e-mail.
This Consulate does not need to intervene these documents; they should be submitted directly to the airline.
However, the original birth certificate should be presented to this Consulate to register in the book of the civil status registry; also, the ID documents of the diseased person should be returned to the issuers entities.
Current regulation: Resolution 2005/1968.
Registrar of Birth, Deaths & Marriages: phone 1300 369 367.
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Departamentos de Relaciones Exteriores y Comercio en Australia
5th Floor MTAA Super House
55 Currie St
Adelaide SA 5000.GPO Box 9807 Adelaide SA 5001
Telephone: (08) 8403 4899
Fax: (08) 8403 4873
4th Floor, 295 Ann Street (Corner of Creek Street) Brisbane Qld 4000
Tel: (07) 3405 4799
Fax: (07) 3405 4782
Level 7, 26 Lee Street
Sydney NSW 2000
(near Central Railway Station)
Telephone: (02) 9207 6904
Fax: (02) 9207 6908
Tel: (08) 9231 4499
Fax: (08) 9221 2827
Victoria State Office
Level 14, Casselden Place
2 Lonsdale St (corner of Spring St)
Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: (03) 9221 5555
Fax: (03) 9221 5455
Level 1, 111 Macquarie Street
Telephone: (03) 6238 4099
Fax: (03) 6238 4024
Northern Territory House
22 Mitchell Street
Northern Territory 0800
GPO Box 1910
Northern Territory 0801
Telephone: (08) 8982 4199
Fax: (08) 8982 4155 (main office)